Synagogalna Street is one of the streets forming the former Jewish district in Płock. Its name comes from the now-defunct building of the main synagogue located on the square between Synagogalna and Tylna Streets, marked with mortgage number 32 (you can read more about the […]
Adam Neuman-Nowicki was born on September 23, 1925 in Płock, as the son of Mosze Szlomo Neuman (1893-1942, son of Jehuda Lejb and Leja nee Niedźwiedz) and Frymeta nee Goldkind (1894-1942, daughter of Abram and Tema). His family was part of the active, assimilated group […]
The defensive tower at 13a Zduńska Street is one of the remains of the medieval fortifications of the city. In the 18th century it was rebuilt into a residential house. The property has changed owners many times over the course of the 19th century. In 1890 it was bought from Daniel Kolbe and Emilia nee Bytner by Moryc Safian for the amount of 12000 rubles. The next year, the property was acquired by the Płock Jewish Commune, which purchased it for the sum of 12875 rubles and 50 kopecks. A part of this sum – an amount of 5000 rubles – was transferred to the Jewish Commune by Anna Flatau, whose husband – a well-known Płock banker and social activist Ludwik Flatau, at the end of his life, expressed the will to provide financial support for the establishment of the Jewish Home for the Elderly and Disabled in Płock. Pursuant to the acts of May 1, 1891 and April 19, 1899, the Płock Jewish Commune was registered as the owner of this property.
The guardian of the Flatau Jewish Home for the Elderly and Disabled was Mojżesz Altberg – Płock’s social worker, industrialist and political activist. Mojżesz Altberg from 1903 managed the Talmud Torah organization, co-organized the Common University in Płock and the Płock department of the Polish Cultural Society. Since 1913, he was a board member of the Płock Fund for the Sick. Together with his wife, he founded the “Kropla Mleka” (“Drop of Milk”) association, which offered help to the poor, single mothers. For many years he was the head of the board of the Jewish Charity Society.
The Jewish Home for the Elderly and Disabled was liquidated by the Germans in the autumn of 1940. After the war, the property was taken over by the State Treasury. Currently, the building at Zduńska Street houses the seat of the Płock department of the Regional Monument Conservation Office.
We would like to invite you to visit the exhibition “The Jewish Count. The story of Stanisław Posner”, prepared as part of the Nobiscum Foundation’s activities, which will be presented from June 13 at the Communal Cultural Center in Sochocin. The exhibition was launched last […]
The property with the mortgage number 75 and 76, on which the present tenement house is standing, was leased by the Municipal Office of the Town of Płock to Józef Markus Pozner on October 15, 1821. Józef Markus Pozner (circa 1763-1844) was a merchant in the cloth industry and the owner of a tavern. He was the owner of the real estate located on the property with mortgage number 175 at Więzienna Street, Jerozolimska Street at number 3 and at Ostatnia Street at number 206. Pozner was actively involved in the life of the Płock Jewish community, together with Lewin Nisson they were the management of the local kehilla. On the square next to Nowa Street, for which he was supposed to pay an annual fee of 7 Polish zlotys to the municipal bank, he erected a one-story brick house.
The next owner of the property was a merchant Samuel Consohn Poznersohn (circa 1781-1865), who purchased it on public sale by way of enforcement proceedings, aimed at selling the goods of Józef Markus Pozner for 20 050 Polish zlotys, according to the judgment of the Civil Tribunal of Płock from 1834 . The new owner expanded the tenement house and opened a restaurant there.
Pursuant to the judgment of the Court of Appeal of July 29, 1839, Chaim Majer Poznersohn became the owner of 1/4 of the real estate, and in 1842 he sold his property to Natan Poznersohn. Under the purchase contract concluded on December 11, 1862, Natan Poznersohn acquired part of the property owned by Samuel Consohn Poznersohn for 3000 Polish zlotys. 1/3 of the property was then sold to Samson Poznersohn, and the remaining 2/3 to Fajga Rejchsztajn. Fajga bought from Samson Poznersohn his part for 4750 rubles, becoming the property’s sole owner.
According to data from 1878, on the property with mortgage numbers 75 and 76, in addition to a brick tiled front house with an extension, there were two wooden sheds, toilets, a stable and a granary.
On the premises in the 1870s, there was a cloth wholesale warehouse ran by Lewenberg and Makower.
In 1900, the estate was purchased by Grojnem and Sura Fajga Dejcz. Pursuant to the document of sale of March 4, 1905, the property was bought by Icek Gutman (born in 1861 in Przasnysz, son of Abram and Ryfka Ruchla) and Szajndla Ruchla (born in 1866 in Zakroczym, daughter of Icek Szaja and Sura Lask) Ostrower. Their son Samuel Józef Ostrower (1888-1933) was a well-known and highly respected photographer from Płock in the interwar period.
In 1908, Israel Boruch (born 1871, son of Wulf and Brucha nee Makower) and Sura (born 1880) Cymbel became the owners of the property. The property was inherited from their father by Ita Rajzel nee Cymbel, Ruchla Kowal nee Cymbel, Łaja Szpigel nee Cymbel, Chana Czarnobroda nee Cymbel, Hena Cymbel, Dawid Cymbel and Beniamin Cymbel. Until the outbreak of the war, the property was owned by the Cymbel family.
At the beginning of the 1930s, at 11 Kwiatka Street, lived Fajga Zygier, Kałma Grosman, Mordcha Kogut, Herszek Ajzenmen, Majer Jakubowicz, Abram Jeger, Fajwel Chudy, Szmul Krojn, Mendel Widawski, Szmul Michalis, Jakub Kowal, Hersz Turzanowski, Abram Ide Gajzler, Frajda Stupaj, Mojsze Morgensztern, Ela Baran, Sura Hendel Zając, Sura Kalmus, Josek Zyslander, Chaim Ber, Bajla Prusak, Brucha Lewin, Lejbusz Karasiewicz, Chuna Rozenberg, Chana Fajga Goldsztejn, Hersz Jojne Kohn, Abram Chaim Bri and Aron Aronzon, together with their families.
Before the outbreak of World War II, the property housed the store of hatmaker Herman Turzanowski and shoemaker Stanisław Zieliński.
Aniela Oberfeld was born in 1900 as a daughter of Rudolf (1859-1933) and Franciszka nee Bersztajn (born 1875). Her father was a well-known lawyer and educational activist in Płock, her mother a pedagogue and a social activist. The Oberfeld family lived in a tenement house […]
At Niepodległości Street in Wyszogród, there is a Jewish cemetery founded in the first half of the 19th century. During World War II, it was completely devastated by the Germans, who used tombstones to build roads and pavements. After the war, a monument commemorating the […]
The baroque tenement house, in the type associated with the northern circle, was erected in the third quarter of the 17th century. Since 1850, the owner of the property was a grain merchant, Ojzer Lewita. In the years 1852-1855 and 1857-1862 he tried to sell his property to the Honorary Advisor and the Supervisor of the Płock Prison, Szymon Dzierzgowski. In 1862, Jakub and Chawa nee Finkensztejn Grubman bought the property. In 1891, their children inherited the property, including daughter Rozalia Kapłan nee Grubman, who became its only owner in 1904. In 1920, the house was purchased by Mordka Bol.
The property housed the private 4-class female school of Gołda Tasiemka (Wolfsdorf), a graduate of the 7-class Jewish female school of Emilia Perkal in Warsaw. The school implemented a syllabus corresponding to the government’s female progymnasium (a type of middle school). The school was very popular in the Płock community, attended by about 60 girls.
The son of Ojzer and Dwojra Amalia nee Funkiensztajn was Gustaw (Gerszon) Lewita (1852-1889) – a composer and world-famous pianist. In the years 1872-1874 Gustaw Lewita was educated in playing the piano at the Conservatory of the Music Supporter Society in Vienna. He was a member of the Pas de Loup orchestra in Paris. In the years 1879-1880, Lewita was a piano teacher at the Apolinary Kątski Music Institute in Warsaw. In 1880 he went on a concert tour to France. He also made a concert tour of the United States and Latin America. In 1882 he settled in Paris. He gained fame as a performer of the works of Fryderyk Chopin and Robert Schumann.
On November 16, 1930, a branch of the “Frajhajt” Cultural and Educational Association in Poland was established in Płock. The founders of the branch were Mojżesz Zander (born 1905), Toba Nasielska (born 1908), Lejb Licht (born 1909), Symcha Guterman (born in 1903) and Szlama Lipner […]